Monday, August 15, 2011

About the grading procedures...




 I don't want any of you to feel overwhelmed or intimidated by the work assigned in this class. It has been brought to my attention that some students and parents are concerned about the grading procedures for major writing assignments. Rest assured; my top priority is to encourage and challenge each student to achieve his or her best. The strident grading procedures will be applied only for major writing assignments that are announced in advance. We will have time to proofread papers in class. I am also willing to proof rough drafts, without deducting points for errors, if they are submitted prior to the due date. Keep in mind that I allow students to submit alternative assignments for extra credit, and I believe in second chances. Ask and you shall receive, right?


My expectations are high and will remain that way. Though it is early in the school year, I am already noting significant progress in the students' writing. The vocabulary assessments are both challenging and rewarding. Students are learning how to incorporate new words by writing paragraphs with the words-a fresh alternative to multiple choice English tests. 
 I am thrilled to see students eager to excel!